Mail Room Associate
JOB TITLE: Mail Room Associate
DEPARTMENT: Mail Room Department
REPORTS TO: Mail Room Manager
SCHEDULE – This position works a variable schedule of up to 37.5 hours per week. Can be either full- or part-time position. Hours vary depending on shifts assigned. Full-time positions may be required to work overtime.
OVERVIEW OF JOB RESPONSIBILTIIES – This is an entry level position that involves manning one or more feed pockets on an inserting or stitch/trimming machine, handling and positioning inserts and pallets or boxes, preparing mailed and/or shipped printed products, preparing postal documentation, bagging and delivering mailed materials among other tasks in the production area that might be required, including maintenance and tasks related to keeping the work area clean. Successful associates will be considered for promotions when openings occur.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Ability to understand spoken English, stack inserts, use pallet jacks, keep work area clean and organized, assist other staff as needed. Exhibit a tolerance for extended periods of standing and exposure to loud noise (hearing protection provided).
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – Previous newspaper experience, including operation of inserting and stitching/trimming equipment, postal documentation and labeling equipment. Additional experience with machinery in general.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS -
- Interact successfully with others in a business setting
- Work collaboratively in a team environment to meet customer needs
- Work successfully with others in a busy, deadline-driven environment
- Maintain regular attendance
- Tolerance for extended periods of standing and/or sitting
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds
- Push or pull 850 pounds (with leverage)
- Climb, stoop, stand, kneel and crawl to access and work in irregular spaces on and around industrial equipment
- Work for prolonged periods with inks and other chemicals present
- Ability to adapt to change, address potential problems and suggest possible solutions
- Accept written and verbal direction from supervisors
- Work a variable schedule requiring periodic night and weekend work
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS – Other duties as assigned by supervisor, director or publisher.
WORK ENVIRONMENT – Mailroom employees work in an industrial setting that includes exposure to dust, chemicals and noise. Personal protective equipment is provided and recommended for use.