Press Operator Trainee
JOB TITLE: Press Operator Trainee
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
SCHEDULE – This position works a variable schedule of 37.5 hours per week. Usual weekday hours are from 12 noon – 10 pm. Overtime may be required.
OVERVIEW OF JOB RESPONSIBILTIIES – This is an entry level position with training in the preparation, operation and routine maintenance of the printing equipment and associated other duties. Training for the entire process from negative to final printing with all facets of becoming a press operator will be completed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Ability to understand spoken English. Ability to work in a deadline driven production environment. Mechanical aptitude.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – Previous newspaper experience that may have included working with production equipment. Willingness to work assigned shifts and learn and adapt to the processes that are a part of the production of newspapers and printed products.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS -
- Interact successfully with others in a business setting
- Work collaboratively in a team environment to meet customer needs.
- Work successfully with others in a busy, deadline driven environment.
- Maintain regular attendance.
- Tolerance for extended periods of standing and/or sitting
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Push or pull 850 pounds (with leverage)
- Climb, stoop, stand, kneel and crawl to access and work in irregular spaces on and around industrial equipment
- Work for prolonged periods with inks and other chemicals
- Ability to adapt to change, address potential problems and suggest possible solutions
- Accept written and verbal direction from supervisors
- Work a variable schedule requiring periodic night and weekend work
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS – Operation of and certification on forklifts. Other duties as assigned by supervisor, director or publisher.
WORK ENVIRONMENT – Pressroom employees work in an industrial setting that includes exposure to dust, chemicals and noise. Personal protective equipment is provided and recommended for use.